trial

‘Female Basil Fawlty’ to face trial on seven assault charges

Comments (0)

A woman well known for running a hotel dubbed South Devon’s real-life Fawlty Towers will stand trial in October charged with seven assaults and a number of other offences.

After an hour-long hearing to fix a trial date, Torbay magistrates remanded former barrister Shirley Bothroyd on unconditional bail. Bothroyd, 59, denies all of the charges, and will appear at Newton Abbot magistrates’ court on October 2.

She is charged with one common assault; four assaults by beating; two assaults on police officers; one use of threatening behaviour and failing to answer bail or surrender to police. She denies all of the charges.

Her court appearance came on the same day she was served with a notice by Teignbridge District Council revoking her premises licence for the Bay Hotel at Teignmouth.

In court she gave her address as ‘The Penthouse’ at the Bay Hotel.Police had applied to the council to have the licence revoked, claiming according to a report to its licensing sub-committee that there were concerns over whether the premises were a safe and suitable place to be supplying alcohol.

Police said the premises did not promote three of the licensing objectives, the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety and/or protection of children from harm.

The call to revoke the licence was backed by Health and Safety and fire officers. Firefighters said they had been called to the hotel a number of times.

Read more Theft case goes back to magistrates court after mix up

At one stage the fire service received three calls in a week to the seafront hotel, one of which was a fire in which destroyed the penthouse bedroom.

Two people were arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life by the police in relation of a fire there on July 11.

Councillor agreed to revoke the licence at their meeting on Monday.

The hotel’s ‘Fawlty Towers’ nickname came as a result of online reviews.

Teignmouth man to face trial for alleged knife attack on two…

A trial date has been set for a 20-year-old man accused of attacking two people with a knife in Teignmouth.

Kai Webb, of Ashleigh Park Terrace, Teignmouth, denies two counts of GBH with intent.

It relates to an incident in the town on May 23 when two teenage girls were injured.


READ MORE: Will there be thunderstorms in Devon, and when will they be?


Webb appeared for a brief hearing at Exeter Crown Court on Thursday.

He admits possessing a Stanley knife.

Judge Geoffrey Mercer QC set a trial date of November 20.

The case was adjourned until July 20 when a further hearing will take place.

Webb was remanded in custody until then.