It has been a big week for Devon’s hotel boom.
The controversial plan to redevelop the Corbyn Head Hotel in Torquay was approved, while the Fragrance Group has revealed its two new hotels in Paignton will be run by Accor Hotels under the 4-star Mercure brand.
And plans to build a new hotel in Ilfracombe on the site of the former Golden Coast Amusements in Ilfracombe, which caught fire back in 2004, have been put forward.
The Local Democracy Reporting Service has provided a round-up of all the new hotel developments in the pipeline across Devon.
At least 2,264 bed spaces are set to be created by the new hotels
PARK HOTEL PAIGNTON
Work is expected to start this month to build a £14m 161-bedroom hotel on the site of the former Park Hotel overlooking Paignton Green.
The Fragrance Group has revealed it will be run by Accor Hotels under the 4-star Mercure brand.
The previous hotel buildings at the site on Esplanade Road have been demolished and cleared after the development was given planning permission in November.
Councillors were told the hotel will create 100 jobs and attract an estimated 95,000 guests a year, bringing an annual £2m spending boost.
Another planning application has gone in on behalf of The Fragrance Group for a 117-bedroom hotel on the neighbouring seafront site of the closed Lighthouse nightclub.
Subject to planning permission being granted, that hotel would be run by the same operator under its Ibis Styles brand.
The deal was revealed on behalf of the Singapore-based Fragrance Group by consultant Martin Rogers at a meeting of Torbay Council’s planning committee.
CORBYN HEAD, TORQUAY
Controversial plans for a new building up to six storeys high to replace the Corbyn Head Hotel on Torquay seafront have been approved.
The decision by Torbay Council’s planning committee on Monday night was greeted by shouts of ‘shame’ from the audience of about 100 people in the Riviera Centre, around a mile from the site for the new 152-bedroom hotel.
(Image: Kay Elliott Architects)
The developer welcomed the decision as “a vote in favour of investment for future generations” which allows it to move forward with its planned £100m redevelopment of four sites in Torbay.
The committee was tied 4-4 on a proposal from Conservative Chris Lewis to approve the application in line with a recommendation from officers including a series of conditions. That was seconded by Liberal Democrat Mandy Darling. The committee chair, Liberal Democrat Nick Pentney, voted in favour to break the deadlock.
The three-hour meeting heard arguments for and against the revised plan, which was submitted on behalf of developer The Fragrance Group a month after the committee rejected an earlier scheme.
PALACE HOTEL, TORQUAY
The Singapore-based Fragrance Group wants to replace the ageing Palace Hotel at Babbacombe with a new 5-star luxury destination spa hotel with 248 bedrooms.
Plans show a building with a floor-to-ceiling glazed lobby, a 200-seat restaurant including private rooms and outdoor terraces, large guest lounge and bar, and spa and leisure facilities including outdoor pools, sauna, steam room and fitness studio.
It would have conference and event facilities for up to 500 people and a rooftop bar with open terraces offering stunning views over Babbacombe Bay. There would be a 220-space underground car park, with 80 more spaces on the surface.
A statement on the consultation website says the developer is in discussions with leading global luxury brands to run the hotel which would create 300 jobs.
KINGSBRIDGE PREMIER INN
In October, South Hams District Council and Kingsbridge Town Council will be launching a consultation around plans for a Premier Inn for the town.
South Hams District Council’s executive earlier this year supported the principle of plans for a brand new 85-bedroom hotel to be built on a derelict site behind the leisure centre near Rope Walk.
Premier Inn want to work with the council by running an 85 bed hotel on the site at a cost of £10m from the Council and a further £10m from Premier Inn. They have said that this could create the equivalent of 90 full time jobs during the build and 24 when the hotel is up and running. They also said that they could being an extra 700 visitors to the town every week and an extra £525,000 could be spent in the town ever year.
A consultation event on the principle of the hotel will take place before a formal planning application is submitted.
Tony Rowe’s plans for a new 250-bedroom, four-star venue, right next to the M5, next to the home of the Exeter Chiefs could be built by 2021.
Once built, the eight-storey, L-shaped hotel, will feature leisure facilities on the ground floor and a restaurant on the top floor, and be a Marriot Courtyard hotel.
The new hotel will include a unique, rooftop glazed restaurant, and access to the hotel be via a purpose built footbridge from the existing stadium complex.
The basement level of the hotel would have a sauna, a steam room and a Jacuzzi, a gym and fitness centre, changing rooms, as well as back office functions such as staff areas and housekeeping.
The ground floor will have ‘magnificent views out to the east and south’, as well as a reception, an open plan bar, a coffee bar and lounge, meeting rooms and a 24/7 day per week Market Place for drinks and snacks.
There will be a rooftop glazed restaurant for 172 covers on the ninth floor of the hotel.
Teignbridge councillors in March agreed to progress plans to self-develop a 72-bed hotel, which will then be leased to a national chain operator.
The council agreed to self-develop plans to redevelop the Halcyon Road car park, which currently has 115 spaces, into a 72-bedroom hotel within the next 18 to 24 months, to then lease out to a national chain operator, without a loss of parking provision in the town.
(Image: Daniel Clark)
Plans have been submitted by Teignbridge District Council to demolish the former Swanson workshops and for the creation of a 20 space car park.
The ‘dilapidated town centre area’ is set to be regenerated and a business case for a hotel on part of the site – believed to be a Premier Inn – is being developed.
The council earlier in the year agreed to spend £85,000 on preparing a business case for the hotel and at the end of July, the council agreed to further advance the regeneration project for Brunswick Street, although the discussions and all items of the report took place with the press and public excluded.
Exeter’s major CityPoint development, for the area around Paris Street, includes a new four star hotel opposite John Lewis, a budget hotel in Sidwell Street, and the relocation of the Civic Centre.
Exeter City Council’s executive last month unanimously agreed that the latest progress on the scheme be noted and to negotiate and enter into a joint ownership and land promotion agreement with the other main land owners on the site.
The regeneration scheme could include 250 build-to-rent homes on Sidwell Street, a four star hotel opposite John Lewis, a budget hotel in Sidwell Street, the relocation of the Civic Centre into a new public sector hub, housing to replace the existing civic centre, a new office quarter, food, drink and retail outlets, a new square and civic space in Paris Street, and the potential for a multi-purpose performance venue, with a capacity of around 1,200 seated or up to 2,500 standing.
It would sit next to the redevelopment of the Bus Station as well as the new St SIdwell’s Point Leisure Centre, set to open early in 2021.
PREMIER INN, TIVERTON
The hotel is set to open on November 8, 2019, offering 83-bedrooms and the reallocation of 66 designated parking spaces from within the multi-storey car park for its customers.
Once the construction is complete there will be a loss of 75 car parking spaces out of 640 in the existing multi storey car park.
PREMIER INN, TORQUAY
Plans to build a new 120-bed Premier Inn on a council-owned car park overlooking Torquay harbour are going ahead.
Torbay Council’s planning committee approved the scheme after hearing it had been redesigned to better fit in with listed buildings in The Terrace.
The new six-floor hotel will be built on the western end of the multi-storey car park at The Terrace, behind the Hilton Hotel going up as part of the multi-million pound redevelopment of Torwood Street.
The council and Premier Inn are the joint applicants for the £11m hotel at the junction of The Terrace and Montpellier Road.
The scheme is to be funded by council borrowing to bring in revenue for services as part of its investment strategy.
Councillors were told the hotel site was in a Core Tourism Investment Area and would create 30 jobs directly and six others in the supply chain, generating more than £1m a year for the local economy.
A report said the wider economic benefits from the estimated 64,000 guests a year would amount to around £3.3m in extra tourism spending on food, drink and entertainment.
PREMIER INN, ASHBURTON
A new 80-bedroom Premier Inn on the edge of the A38 in the Dartmoor National Park could be built.
The £5.2m scheme would also have seen a restaurant and a car park built on the Dolbeare Meadow Business Park in Ashburton.
Dartmoor National Park Authority’s Development Management Committee, when it met on Friday, were recommended to refuse the plans.
But prior to the item being discussed, Philip Sanders, chairman of the committee, announced it would be deferred until a later date.
One of the reasons officers were recommending refusal was that there was insufficient information submitted to assess the likely impact from the proposed development on bats and likely significant effect on the South Hams Special Area of Conservation.
There had been insufficient evidence submitted to enable an Habitat Regulations Assessment to be carried out, ensuring there is no harm to protected species, but late information relating to this matter had been put forward
The site of one of North Devon’s biggest fires could be transformed into an 80-bedroom hotel if new plans are approved.
A planning application has been submitted by Wiltshire-based CMS Architects to develop the site of the former Golden Coast Amusements in Ilfracombe, which caught fire back in 2004.
(Image: CMS Architects)
More than 65 firefighters tackled the blaze at the building, which has laid derelict ever since and is widely considered an eyesore to the town.
The plans state that a “branded hotel operator” would use the five-storey building, though no names are mentioned in the accompanying design and access statement.
It says the proposed hotel would include an “event space/conference room/meeting room”, however no car parking spaces would be provided.
TORWOOD STREET, TORQUAY
Work is well under way on the demolition and clearance phase of a £32m development close to Torquay harbour.
The go-ahead for the Torwood Street scheme was announced in July 2018 – and this week work has began at the run-down boarded up buildings after hoardings were put up around the site.
The derelict buildings will be demolished to make way for a 130-bed Hilton hotel with new offices and food and drink units.
The scheme between the Apple and Parrot pub and Roma hair salon is going ahead almost ten years after it was first proposed, and will see an important step forward for the regeneration of the resort’s town centre.
Developers the THAT group – led by Peter Tisdale and Ray Kelvin, boss of fashion giants Ted Baker – announced an agreement with bankers and Torbay Council in July.
(Image: Ed Oldfield)
AFFINITY SHOPPING CENTRE, BIDEFORD
Plans for a four-screen cinema, hotel and new fast food outlets at a Devon shopping centre have gone on display.
The proposals outline plans for the Affinity Devon Shopping Centre in Bideford, North Devon, include a Travelodge hotel, 180-seat Scott Cinema, KFC and Subway restaurants and a takeaway coffee shop.
Plans went on display in a vacant unit at the shopping centre this afternoon and will also be exhibited tomorrow morning as well.
The Travelodge Hotel would be built on what is currently an unused field owned by the shopping centre to the east of the site, close to a proposed new entrance on Clovelly Road.
The two fast food units will be built on top of an existing car park at the site while the cinema and cafe will replace the currently unused Atlantis leisure park.
No planning application for the proposals has yet been submitted, but if all goes to plan the developers say they hope the project could be complete by the summer of 2021.
HILL POND, CLYST ST MARY
An inspector will determine the fate of plans for a 130-bedroom hotel on the site of a caravan and camping park just outside Exeter.
Hill Pond Caravan and Camping Park have appealed against the non-determination of East Devon District Council for their plans to build a new L-shaped hotel on the site of the existing park just off the A3052.
The site is adjacent to the Hill Barton Business Park, and is across the A3052 from Exeter City’s training ground and Crealy Adventure Park.
ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL, EXETER
The Royal Clarence Hotel was devastated by a major fire in October 2016 and plans to rebuilt it have been approved.
But owners Andrew Brownsword Hotels have put the hotel up for sale, saying that they could not afford to rebuild the hotel and selling was “the only way to make the rebuild happen quickly and viably”.
It places the future of the hotel in doubt, with the statement from Andrew Brownsword saying that seeking new owners for the site is the only way that the rebuild can progress.
DERRYS IN PLYMOUTH
A £50million project to redevelop a disused Plymouth city centre department store into student flats and a hotel will see its first tenants move in by the autumn 2019.
Construction specialist EHA Group has been working on the huge former Derrys store, in the centre of Plymouth, since mid 2017.
Developer Thames Bank Property, which is behind the huge project, is now confident that about 350 of the planned 500 student flats will be ready by the time the academic year starts in September.
(Image: Red Air Drones Aerial Media LTD)
An additional four stories will be placed on top of the rear of the building, in the Courtenay Street area, that was once the Rileys snooker centre.
That will become a 110-bedroom Premier Inn hotel, in a £9.5million investment.
The remainder of the former department stores is being turned into 500 student flats.
More than half the 64,000sq ft of retail and leisure is already let to occupiers including Argos, Ryman and Premier Inn’s Thyme restaurant.
Commercial property experts have begun marketing space at the planned Higher Home Park and Western Gateway sites near the football stadium and Life Centre in Central Park.
And they have revealed that the development will include two office blocks, a range of different sized restaurants, a gym and a 116-bed hotel – plus lots of car parking.
Plans have been unveiled for a £10million-plus hotel and spa complex on Drake’s Island.
Engineering firm Rotolok Group, the island’s owner, secured planning consent secured in April 2017, and wants to transform the Grade II-listed Island House, Barracks Block and Ablutions building by linking them to form a hotel containing 25 double- and twin-bedrooms.
The Casemates battery is planned to be transformed into 18 “luxury” bedroom suites with sea views.
(Image: Red Air Drones Aerial Media LTD)
PLYMOUTH RAILWAY STATION
It’s full steam ahead for the ambitious multi-million pound creation of a new visitor gateway in Plymouth.
Civic planning chiefs have unlocked the first step in the long-term vision to springboard the city’s railway station estate into the 21st century.
The University of Plymouth has been given the green light to crack on with its lucrative bid to convert the Intercity House landmark – the city’s ageing railway tower – into a thriving health care campus.
The new-look 11-storey skyscraper will come complete with a top floor viewing platform and potentially a ‘sky cafe’ – together with a stunning ‘halo of light’ that will serve as a ‘beacon’ for Britain’s Ocean City.
(Image: Penny Cross)
Academics plan to press ahead with the redevelopment – part of a wider £100million rejuvenation of the railway quarter and key to the university’s 10-year masterplan – later this year.
The Intercity Place redevelopment would make a major difference to one of Plymouth’s key gateways and is part of a much wider plan for the nearby university campus and the railway station concourse and land sitting in between the two.
The costs are embedded in other aspirations that are thought to be in the region of £80million to £100million.
A brand new hotel and multi-storey car park are also in the offing.
The stylish new £10million block of flats being built in the heart of Plymouth could solve the city’s hotel rooms shortage.
The new seven-storey Peirson House development, in Notte Street, is due to be ready by early 2020 and the sales team say there is already mounting interest in its 76 apartments.
And it is expected that while some of the one and two-bed flats are being eyed by people who want to live in the block, there is expected to be interest from investors who will rent them out as serviced accommodation, providing short-term hotel-style stays for people visiting the city.
(Image: Penny Cross / Plymouth Live)
English Cities Fund (ECf), the company behind the long-term regeneration of Millbay, wants to see a 10-storey block of 58 apartments and a 155-bedroom hotel rise up on land known as Plot C1 off Millbay Road.
A project to bring student accommodation, retail space and a 105-bed hotel to Plymouth in the shape of a 21-storey redevelopment of the Money Centre site will create almost 400 jobs.
Planning permission has been secured for an “exciting” mixed use development at the Moneycentre, including student accommodation, office space and a new hotel.
Plymouth City Council passed plans to demolish the existing building at Drake Circus and create the giant modern building in keeping with the city scape.
AND ONE THAT WON’T BE HAPPENING
Multi-million pound plans to restore the listed building and make it the ‘front-of-house’ of the hotel and spa complex were dismissed earlier this year, putting to an end a long-running bid that would have seen Dorset-based Nicholas James Group’s Harbour Hotel brand transform the face of Torquay’s harbourside.
(Image: Kay Elliott Architects)
The plans, which included an 11-storey apartment block divided opinion and have been refused on environmental and viability grounds after campaigners successfully brought a legal challenge last year.
The plans lodged in 2015 proposed turning the disused listed Pavilion into the “front of house” for a 60-bed hotel including functions rooms, a spa, restaurant and bars, with a first-floor link to the bedrooms.
The overall scheme included 43 flats in an 11-storey tower and a five-storey section with a ground-floor restaurant and shops, a new harbour walkway, marina facilities and 289 parking spaces including 69 on Cary Green, currently a public open space.